Easy Crochet Pattern for Coaster/Mug Rug
A hand knitted coaster can add a personalized touch to your dining table. It also makes for a decent handmade gift and is perfect for the folks who are always looking for beginner’s crocheting projects.
Unlike other projects, a coaster can be quite fun to knit. It is not only fun, but you can use almost any stitching styles to knit coasters. This pattern is also great for practicing your craft, exercising your fingers and improving your stitch definition.
Coasters are cute and you can experiment with several different colours. Since you can never have too many coasters, just knit up a collection of these and tie them together to make for an interesting show piece.
Here is a pattern for the same:
Materials you will need
- 15 – 20 meters of worsted/chunky yarn.
- Knitting needles size - 4 mm
- Work with two strands of blue-coloured Vardhman Baby Soft Yarn so as to get a thicker coaster. Make a slip knot, chain 4, slip stitch in the 1st chain. Work into this ring for round 1.
- Round 1 - chain 3 (works as double crochet), work 11 double crochet into the ring. Total dc-12
- Round 3- chain 3, work double crochet in the same stitch, work 2 double crochet in each stitch. Total double crochet- 24
- Round 4- chain 4 (works as 1 double crochet + chain1), skip 1 stitch, (1 double crochet + chain 7+1 double crochet) in the next stitch, ** chain 1, skip 1 stitch, ((1 double crochet + chain 7+1 double crochet)) in the next stitch, chain 1, skip 1 stitch, **. Repeat ** to ** till the end of the row. Now only one stitch remains, skip that stitch and slip stitch in the 3rd chain of the chain 4 made at the beginning.
- Round 5- take two strands of pink colour yarn, join with slip stitch, chain 1, work single crochet in each stitch till end of row. Total Sc- 48. Finish the round with slip stitch in the first chain. Chain 1, cut and pull the yarn. Weave all the ends in with a yarn needle.
The best yarns we recommend you to use for this project are as below:
Vardhman Dropill Yarn - https://vardhmanknitworld.com/collections/balls/products/dropill
Tip: To make your coasters more uniform, you can also hand wash them in lukewarm water and hang them dry before using.
You can also take a look at video instructions to clearly understand how you can crochet a mug rug: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix-qpcHKaZs
We hope that with this post, you were able to understand how to crochet a coaster. For more interesting blogs like this, please follow Vardhman Knitting Diaries: https://vardhmanknitworld.com/blogs/knitting-diaries